I have heard all the rumors that goats eat anything. This is NOT true! Just offer my Denver goat a carrot! She will give you a look and walk away with haste.
Our goats are very picky and much like people certain goats only like certain things. Here are some of our herds most favorite treats!
- Pumpkin, Cantaloupe
- Bananas (with peelings)
- Blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, etc.
- Animal Crackers
- Apples, Peaches, Pears (No seeds)
- Fig Newtons (Good for hiding copper bolus pills)
- Watermelon (This is KC's FAVORITE)
- Oranges (with peelings)
- Squash, Zucchini, Cucumbers, Lettuce, Celery
- Spinach (Great if you are battling anemia)
- Many Fresh Herbs are good for them. (research wormwood)
If you are not sure about feeding your goat something do a quick search and make sure it's not poisoness. For instance, Azalea bushes are very popular in Mt. Pleasant, NC but will kill your goat if they consume them. Many of our neighbors grow tomatoes, but we don't. I'm not taking a chance that one of the goats will get into them.